Verdict: Environmentally Friendly, Made in America, High Quality, Transparent Supply Chain, Ethical
Zady is a New York company dedicated to making classic, well made clothes with a transparent supply chain. They also focus on educating and researching about fast fashion’s impact on the environment.
What they sell: Women’s Clothing, Men’s Clothing, Beauty Supplies, Home Decor, Jewellery
Transparency: Very Transparent. Every item has a description of where it is made, and includes in some cases the farms and mills that worked on the fiber, or the artisans who crafted the jewellery and what percentage of the profits an artisan takes. Zady is involved with multiple brands, so the transparency provided differs with each item, but generally the garments and other goods are all presented with the plentiful information.
What They Are Doing Great:
Zady has made huge efforts in curating an ethical and environmentally friendly collection of clothing. They:
- They source wherever possible from U.S. farms and factories
- They favour suppliers who treat their workers and artisans fairly and pay them properly
- They select where possible factories and farms which are making every effort to reduce waste and pollution
- They choose to use Alpaca wool over Mongolian Cashmere ( Cashmere Goats habits of overgrazing are turning the grasslands of Mongolia into a desert).
- They choose timeless styles which will last many years.
- They are also strong advocates of slow fashion – besides educating the public, they also encourage proper garment care to keep each garment in wardrobe rotation longer and discuss methods of washing which will help reduce carbon emissions from wearing the clothes.
- Their packaging is both recycled and recyclable.
Room for Improvement: N/A. They are striving in every way to continually better themselves and the earth.
Unanswered Questions: There is no information on their website about about energy uses in their offices and warehouses.