Birch Fabrics is a producer of 100% Organic Cotton fabrics on a wide variety of substrates (fabric types). This means they produce everything from knits to flowy gauzes.
What They Sell: Fabric, Thread
Transparency: Somewhat transparent. All cotton is certified organic, and printed with low impact dyes. However, all production is done in India, with no mention of ethics (although ethics are somewhat covered by the organic cotton certification process).
What They Are Doing Great:
- 100% Organic Cotton uses no pesticides and is a responsible way of farming cotton.
- No toxic dyes or chemicals from the manufacturing process are being absorbed by your skin or being released into the water and earth.
- The materials are high quality and last a long time, which also has a positive environmental impact.
Room for Improvement:
- No mention is made of ethical treatment of workers in India who manufacture the fabric.
Unanswered questions: Emailed Dec 4 2015 to ask:
- Your fabrics are made in India. Can you outline what steps you take to ensure fair treatment and wages of workers, as well as factory safety and energy usage?
- Do you work to reduce packaging and use either biodegradable or recycled packaging and marketing materials?