Verdict: Made in Canada, Ethical
Second Denim Yoga Jeans makes comfortable and classic women’s jeans in Quebec, Canada.
Transparency: Fairly transparent. All sewing is done in Quebec, Canada, but no mention is made of environmental details (see: Unanswered Questions).
What They Are Doing Great:
- Made in Canada at their facility in Quebec.
- Jeans are cut to suit women’s curves and to stretch and be comfortable but not stretch out of shape.
Room for Improvement:
- No mention is made of cotton sources (cotton is not listed as being either organic or from the Better Cotton Initiative).
- No mention is made of environmental goals like:
- no mention of reduced or biodegradable packaging
- no mention made of low impact dyes, or of treatment or water during the dye process.
- no mention made of tracking or setting goals for electricity, natural gas, and water usage during the manufacturing process.
Emailed Dec 31 2015 to ask:
- Do you take steps to ensure that your cotton is ethically sourced (ie. not buying cotton from Uzbekistan, or sourcing cotton following guidelines from The Better Cotton Initiative?)
- Have you considered using organic cotton in all or part of your denim line?
- Do you use minimal, recyclable, recycled, or biodegradable packaging and marketing materials to reduce landfill waste?
- Do you take steps to ensure your dye and laundering processes aren’t harming the environment by using low impact dyes or treating all waste water before it leaves the factory?
- Do you track and set goals for your carbon footprint by monitoring and reducing your electricity, natural gas and water consumption?