Here is a selection of articles, essays and research studies on related topics.
University of Cambridge Institute for Manufacturing. 2006. “Well Dressed? The present and future sustainability of clothing and textiles in the United Kingdom”
- A breakdown of the fast fashion dilemma as it impacts the United Kingdom. Details the ethical and environmental costs of clothing, and outlines potential solutions on a government, company, and consumer scale.
Business for Social Responsibility. June 2009. “Apparel Industry Life Cycle Carbon Mapping”
- This article explores greenhouse gas emissions from clothing. Very comprehensive but doesn’t cover other environmental issues like water pollution.
The Guardian. October 2014. Inside the lonely fight against the biggest environmental problem you’ve never heard of
- About potentially toxic microplastics shedding from our garments, through our washing machines and into the ocean.
O Ecotextiles. July 2009. Why Is Recycled Polyester Considered A Sustainable Textile?
- An explanation of the plastic recycling process, and how products made from recycled bottles are usually not recyclable. Also includes a chart with the energy used in the production of various fibers.
Environmental Health Perspectives. September 2007. Waste Couture: Environmental Impact of the Clothing Industry
- Article about the life cycles of our clothing and their environmental impact.
The Reformation. Impact of Fashion.
- Information portion of The Reformation retail website which outlines the environmental impact of our clothing.
Tom of Holland (Tom van Deijnen). The Visible Mending Program (Blog)
- A blog detailing the art and craftsmanship of mending, hopefully providing inspiration to other people to mend and wear their clothing longer.